Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Donuts!

During one of my "feeling sorry for myself because I can't eat whatever I want" moods, my amazing husband suggested making a list of the things I miss the most and promised to find a way to make them for me. One of the things on the top of this list was donuts.

This past Friday, he stopped by the store on his way home from work and picked up a donut pan. Sunday morning, we attempted our first batch! I followed the recipe on the pan packaging for the most part, substituting GF flour (duh), leaving out the baking powder since there's already some in the flour mix I use, adding butter instead of shortening because I didn't have any, and adding sugar for a topping because donuts aren't donuts without SUGAR!!

Donuts
2 C. Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix
3/4 C. white sugar
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
3/4 C. milk
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. butter, melted
Sugar in the Raw or chocolate glaze (recipe below) for topping

Preheat oven to 325ยบ. Lightly grease the donut pan. In a large bowl, mix the Pamela's mix, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt together. Add the milk, eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat until well blended. Fill each donut cup 3/4 full.  Sprinkle with Sugar in the Raw to your liking or leave plain for chocolate glaze post-baking. Bake 10-12 minutes until the donuts spring back when touched.

I was able to make about 10 donuts, but could have made 12 if I didn't fill some of the cups too much...

Chocolate Glaze
1 ounce melted unsweetened chocolate
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk

Once the donuts were cooked, I moved them to a cooling rack and put a plate underneath to catch the extra glaze. I used a knife to spread the glaze since it had hardened a bit. If you make it right before you need to use it, you could probably pour it on the donuts.

Overall, they were good, but not great. Terry and I agree that they really need to be fried to taste like the donuts I miss so dearly. But, considering it's the first donut I've had in a year, it was a terrific start.

No comments:

Post a Comment