Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A few of my favorite things

There are so many GF products available now that make the diet so much easier than it was even 5 years ago (just ask my mom who was diagnosed in 2005). Here are a few of my favorite things:
  • Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix- excellent for pancakes, waffles, and baking almost anything without having to mix different flours together to get the right consistency
  • EnviroKidz Peanut-Choco Drizzle Crispy Rice Bars- this is my go-to snack food since I can't have granola bars anymore. Yes, I realize the name has "kid" in it, but I'm a kid at heart, so there!
  • Udi's- this company makes amazing bread, bagels, cinnamon rolls, muffins, and more. My mom had given up sandwiches until I introduced her to this bread. It's amazing.
  • Boar's Head deli meats- I loved them before, but I love them more now because they are all GF! So delicious, especially on my Udi's bread. :)
  • Tasty Classics soups from HEB- the first six months or so, I went without cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup and it was a sad, sad time. I used to use them in so many recipes and didn't want to go to the trouble of making them myself. I stumbled across these soups in my sister's pantry and was floored. They only cost $.70 each! You can't beat that!
  • Sprouts GF Deli Pizzas- these are hands down the best GF pizzas I've had. They are around $4 each, which is usually the upcharge for a GF crust at a restaurant that offers them. 
  • Mrs. Leeper's dinners- the creamy tuna, fettuccine, and beef stroganoff are my favorites and work great for a quick dinner or something different for lunch. They're pretty similar to Hamburger/Chicken/Tuna helper, but GF and actually tasty. 
  • Amy's Cheese enchilada frozen dinners- I have several friends who eat these and don't need to eat GF. They are delicious and another great option for lunch or dinner when we're all scrounging for leftovers. Just as convenient and cheaper than going out for Mexican food (something we used to do A LOT).
  • The internet- so this isn't really a product, but it makes my life SO much easier. If we decide to eat out spur of the moment, it's so easy to find a place that has GF options and not feel the need to go home just so I can eat safely. Same thing goes for candy, dinners at friends' houses, etc. I can easily pull out my phone and find out if I can eat what's being offered.
  • CenTex Gluten-Free Discussion List- the people on this list are amazing. I've learned so much from them! I highly recommend joining if you're in the area. If not, try to find a support group, message board, etc. in your area. It makes it so much easier to know you're not alone and to learn from other people's successes and failures in eating GF.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you find Udi's bread? I have been using Mrs Leeper's pasta for over a year now, sicne I was diagnosed with Celiac disease as well but did not know they offered dinners like hamburger helper? Are those at HEB also? If so, are they with the other hamburger helper meals or with the gluten free foods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Udi's is at Spouts and Whole Foods. I didn't know you had celiac! I find the Mrs. Leepers with the other GF stuff. They have them at Sprouts, but I find them at HEB Plus sometimes, too.

    ReplyDelete